Thursday, August 25, 2011

Wednesday Wrap-up/School Shopping for $10!

$10.46
That’s what I spent at the Thrift this Wonderful Wednesday.  In truth, it was another disappointing day, as far as finding re-do potential.  Historically, Wednesday morning is half off time for furniture, home decor, frames and storage as well as strange odds and ends that often find their way home with me.  When they run the sale, anything $9.99 or under, and oftentimes $19.91 and under, plus electronics (lamps!) are half off of marked price.  Yesterday, however, there was NO furniture sale!  

Really.  It deserves an exclamation mark.  Really!  Maybe even a few - NO sale!!!  You have to remember that we wait in line for this... it’s like an event, a competitive sport!  It was sad, when we realized what was going on, right up until it wasn’t, because some strange woman threw a tantrum about it. Ha!  
(Now, I should clarify: there are a lot of strange people who are Weds. regulars.  I mean, I’m one of the more normal ones, and we all know I’m nuts.)  
This woman was a newbie, a never-before-seen.  While we were all regrouping about they way to approach full-price thrift (horrors!), this chica was chewing out my Rosa, who heads up the furniture area, and is the most friendly little lady you’ll ever meet.  She is also Latino, with not very much English, which works fine when you’re not b----ing at her in fast-speak, trying to get your way. 

It seems this customer had found a sofa that she liked, on a Tuesday scouting mission.  
No, not actually this one.  It WAS ugly, though!


Someone had mentioned to her the Wednesday morning sale tradition, so she sent her husband (minion?) over to the store early, to hold her place in line, and was able to walk up in front of the 15-20 or so others (not me;  I was there early) that were able to wait in person.   
I know, I digress.  I hate line jumpers.
When she found out that “her” sofa wan’t going to be half price, she was not impressed.  She yelled at Rosa.  She yelled at another long time employee, who tried to explain (in better English) that “hearing that there might be a sale” didn’t constitute false advertising.  She wanted to talk to the manager.  It was further explained to her that the sofa in question, at $149.99, wouldn’t have met the criteria for the sale anyway.  Still, she argued, and wanted an exception made.  I was a little concerned that it might actually happen, just to make her go away; it did NOT happen, and she said that she “would never come back”.  Yay!  That’s a win-win!  
Now, folks, I’m cheap.  Like cheap cheap.  Sometimes I catch myself waffling over a $2 item, waiting for it to go on sale.  That’s bad, I know.  And the Thrift supports a home for unwed mothers, which is a cause that sits pretty close to my heart.  So I should be more generous, and not so “frugal”, when I can.  That’s partly why I try to get more people to shop there, even though it means more competition for the best goodies.  :)  What I’m saying is that even though I’m cheap, I think it was super tacky to try to bully her way to a $75 discount.  Sheesh!  
Another digression... I totally disagree with stealing (yes, I said it.  Stealing!) great handfuls of paint and flooring samples from DIY stores to make crafts that you can tout as free.  All craft, renovation and repurposing materials are free if you just steal them!  The stores pay for them, and you or I might need them when we’re making an actual purchase from that store.  Please find another way to play.
Wow!  Off the soapbox for Tami!  Wanna know what I found for my ten bucks?  How about:

2 of them, $1.91 each

Love me some argyle - and it's back in a fierce way this fall!

Children's Place... someone donated a lot!

I'm a sucker for this schoolgirl look... and N loves knee socks with it.

Levi flares, more Children's Place, Gap & Kohl's
                             
Arizona flares, Faded Glory shirt

Gap flares - love that cuff detail!

Detail of the "schoolgirl" skirt - corduroy with a bubble hem.  Sooo cute!

OshKosh leggings for Li'l T, and just a cute hat.  There can never be too many hats.

These are just for me.  :)   69 cents for the trio!
So, OK!  That's all of it.  I think I got a good start on N's school shopping.  That girl, she is growing like a weed!  Maybe she'll finish before long pants are necessary, so I can be sure that what I've got are long enough.  :)


Love to all,



xoxo,

Tami

No comments: