Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fish eyes and little boys

Thursday, April 7th, 2011
Fish-Eye Pudding!
Diddle Diddle Dumpling, my son Jon...  often feels outnumbered here at home when D is away.  Since our oldest, Kyle, moved to Indiana, there is a marked disparity in the estrogen/testosterone balance of power, so today I made something just for m’boy.


  


Have you ever tried Fish-Eye Pudding?  It’s so  wonderfully repulsive, it had to have been created by a boy.


It’s actually just large pearl tapioca pudding, and it’s delicious.  Making it in the Crockpot takes away the hassle of overnight soaking, and it’s ready to serve straight from the pot.  The recipe is disturbingly simple...


Fish-Eye Pudding
4 cups milk
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
12/cup large pearl tapioca
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp real vanilla
2 tsp amaretto (optional)
Mix together by hand the milk, sugar, tapioca and eggs in your Crockpot (or whatever type of slow cooker you prefer).  If your cooker has a medium setting, cook for 3 hours, stirring well at least once an hour.  On low heat, cook for 6 hours.  
*If, like me, you don’t have a medium and were too dumb to start 6 hours before you need to serve, high heat for 2 hours and low for 3 seems to work well :)
About 15 minutes before serving, turn off the heat and stir in vanilla and amaretto, if using.
Let cool from scalding, but serve warm.  Delicioso!
The key to this pudding is the quality of the flavorings.  I’ve become really spoiled by my Honey, who shops the Duty-Free for me when he has trips to Mexico...

There is a huge difference in the flavor and intensity of this vanilla vs. what you get in the supermarket.  I’ll admit that I was skeptical, but then I grew up using imitation vanilla (the horror!).  Once I tried it, however, I was an instant convert.  For a cheapster like me, I’m developing some pretty refined tastes - I won’t even go into the request list D gets when he stays next to the flagship Whole Foods in Austin!  Suffice it to say that he has asked permission for an extra carry-on on those trips!  :)




The amaretto adds a subtle richness that kids probably won’t notice or appreciate, but it does elevate the flavor above the pudding cups they’re used to.  

The alcohol cooks away, so don’t worry about that.  If I were serving to adults, I might upgrade to a better booze, but rail brand works great for at home.
  • The batch you’re seeing here is 1.5 the normal recipe.  My Crock is so large that the normal batch looked really insignificant (and I was cooking on an empty stomach!).  It translates beautifully into larger amounts, so you could make this for a whole crew.
What do you think?  Will your little men (and big ones) like this?  Give it a try and let me know!  BTW, my girls like it, too!

xoxo,
Tami

Linking to:



2 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Tami,
I just love your music. The Fish Eye Pudding is wonderful. I am printing this recipe and I am making it this week end. I just love that you can put it in the slow cooker and it looks delicious. Precious precious little ones!! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Unknown said...

What a terrific title. We love tapioca pudding at our house, but I have never made it in the slow cooker. I will definitely give that a try. Come join me for What's On the Menu Wednesday whenever you can.