Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wicked weather and working it out

April 19th, 2011

It’s been another ridiculous day.  Only five days ‘til Easter, and there’s a winter weather advisory on for my area, AGAIN!  This was my house at 4:45... 

and this is at 6:45...  

And right now (8:05)...
Yes, it really is coming down like that.

I can’t stand it.  D is probably going to be stranded in Milwaukee, because he (optimistically) took off his snow tires during his last time home, and it’s terrifying to drive on his lightweight summer tires in this blizzard weather.  I’m actually praying he has the sense to stay there, as a delay in his arrival is sooo much better than him getting hurt trying to rush.
Look at this poor, forlorn daffodil.  


I had such high hopes for it, but that shot was taken in the fist "shoot", and now it’s completely buried.  Check THIS out, too - I had been outside only long enough to take the pictures.  
Nice focus, huh?  Self portraits are tricky in the snow!

That time I was smart enough to brush the snow off right away, but this time it melted right through my hair and down my neck.  Oooh, chilly!
The good part about bad weather is that I spent a lot of hours inside today, and I got some things done.  The grout is completed in the bathroom, and it looks so good (except for one crooked glass tile - I don’t know how I missed that when I was placing them!).  I spent about an hour clearing the “haze” today, and then polishing to a high gleam (((sigh))).  I do love what it does for the room - the light fixture in the shower area is just a cheap recessed thing, but now the light is amplified by its reflection, instead of absorbed into the nasty, ever-peeling paint.  Yay!
I also finally got my Good Friday plaque art whatever it is done.  It’s been sitting around in pieces for two weeks, but now it is just what I imagined.
I started with a frame I got for 45 cents from the Thrift (no pic, but imagine a cruddy looking 10x13 oak frame).  Then I picked up the best, most appropriate cross EVER, from the Hob Lob.  I found a great snippet of scripture and printed it onto a sheet of scrapbook paper with the image of sand on it, chose the perfect purple Lenten shawl (ribbon), and lucked into the absolutely ideal pre-cut mat (all HL).  Well, the mat might have been a bit large, ‘cause I forgot about 10x13 vs 11x14, but the hubby’s sharp knife took care of that :)  5 layers of Canvas White from Rustoleum on the frame later, and this is what I have...




I am so happy with the result.  I know I’ve harped before about bunnies and candy, etc, but THIS, this is what my Easter is about.   There is another inset for this frame once Easter morning arrives, so it will be a celebration piece, too.
I also went deep into denial about the snow coming down and worked on some centerpieces for the Egg Hunt on Saturday.  This is the first finished one, 
Ranunculus, stock, and polka dot plant

and I will admit without shame that I copied the idea from a local supermarket’s floral department.  I even told the designer that I was gonna, and she was just flattered that I liked it enough to do that.  The price tag on theirs was too much; I knew  could do it for less and here it is! Mine are significantly bigger, too.
Use your everyday wicker, or Easter colored ones, like I did for this sample.  I've been picking up a ton, so I'd have choices.
Half price, baby!

It doesn’t matter if they’re lined, because you’re gonna cram the plants in there in their original plastic store containers.  Three seems to be the magic number, but if you had a really large basket you could up that to five.  Always keep the number uneven, unless you have a distinct center plant - then space an uneven number around that focal point.  Now stuff a handful of sparkly Easter grass into the triangular gaps between the plastic planters, and add some wired goodies to the arrangement randomly.  I picked these up at GW, but you could really use anything that catches your eye.  

The original pieces I saw also had poofs of tulle on wire picks to fill out their arrangements, but I really had no room, so those got left out.  Oh, well, I have other uses for the tulle :) Just not today...

Well.  D called.  He's a bullhead and thinks he has to make it home, so I'll be signing off to worry and pray for him and the other drivers out there slogging through this mess.  If y'all are so inclined, any other prayers would be might appreciated!

Stay warm and dry, everyone!

xoxo,
Tami

No comments: